May Update: Life in Quito outside of PEPE work!
I have spent much of May travelling with work; Puerto Viejo, Tena, Guayaquil and Coca all in the space of the month of May! Thank you to those of you who have been praying for safety in my travels and for the work itself in the different regions, God has been so faithful in so many ways.
I have spent much of May travelling with work; Puerto Viejo, Tena, Guayaquil and Coca all in the space of the month of May! Thank you to those of you who have been praying for safety in my travels and for the work itself in the different regions, God has been so faithful in so many ways.
Angelica has a nine year old son called Pedrito, please do pray for him as his Mum now spends so much of her time travelling up and down the country. Pray that when she is home they have quality family time.
But what about life outside of PEPE??!! Obviously PEPE is the main focus of my work here in Ecuador, but I thought this month I'd let you know of some of the other exciting openings that are presenting themselves, and also a bit about my church here in Quito.
When Old Experiences Help New Experiences
Some of you may remember that several years ago I took a diploma at Cliff College in Children's Nurture and Evangelism. Due to certain situations affecting some children in my previous job at Altrincham Baptist Church, I chose to focus my dissertation for the diploma on childhood bereavement.
The lectures will be aimed at pastors from all over Ecuador who come to the seminary for a few weeks each year for further training.
It is a huge privilege to have been asked, although I do feel very inadequate, and adapting western material and experience to a South American context will be a challenge, as will sharing the information in Spanish! No date has been set yet so I expect it won't be for some time, but it is something that I am both humbled and excited to be involved in.
Contact with Churches Across the Pichincha Association(Quito and surrounding area)
Starting the PEPE project in a new city means that networking amongst the churches is invaluable. This is a slow process and often relies on the goodness of people passing on your name! However I have been given the opportunity to take a couple of training sessions for pastors and Sunday School teachers in the Quito Association of churches. The topics were children's spirituality and practical ways of working with children. This has led to contact with individual pastors who are starting new churches, some in indigenous mountain communities, others in the sprawl of the main city. Together we are beginning to explore the most effective way of working with children in this culture, and of course it is an opportunity to see where the PEPE project could be of benefit! All this adds challenge and variety of what I find life here to be. Believe me it is not without it's frustrations, but it is certainly fascinating!
My Church here in Quito: Amor Construye (Love Builds)
I live only 5 minutes walk from my church (great for me as I'm still running late most days!) It is a small church with around 35 adults on a Sunday, but with a strong core of around 15 people who come to the mid-week meetings. I have found myself welcomed in and feel very much a part of the community, I'm sure having a house round the corner and plenty of coffee and biscuits has a lot to do with that!
The Women's Group: Well in the UK I haven't a clue on the strength of 'The women's groups' in churches, but here in Ecuador the 'Damas' weekly group is a real focus! At my Quito church we have been looking at healthy eating in this group (which is a joke as the Ecuadorian diet is so bad, triple quantities of carbohydrates and fat!!) The theory of eating vegetables and fruit is delivered every week, but so far when eating in their houses the most I have seen of healthy food has been a lettuce salad!
We have had several practical cookery weeks too (not surprisingly the men always join in for the eating of the food after!) One week the whole church was involved in the making of humitas (a tasteless dish with choclo- large white sweetcorn!) I caused great hilarity in my attempts to help! Mind you after around three hours I had learnt the Ecuadorian way of making the humitas!
Having someone to share the ups and downs of life here with is a huge blessing, and we also have a good giggle! I often think she has the patience of a saint with me and my language blunders!!
The Teenage Group: Adolescentes
When I am in my Quito church on a Sunday morning I lead the Sunday class for the 11-14 year olds (although a few younger ones have crept into the class too!) They have been such a delight to be with and we are enjoying learning together. They are slowly beginning to bring their cousins and friends along which is exciting to see. My main frustration here is that I am often not able to be there as I am travelling with work, or advertising PEPE in other churches.
Church Plant: Una Mision
My church is currently starting a new church in a community not too far away, and I go along to this when I can. It has been interesting seeing how churches are started here in Ecuador, another cultural introduction for me! There is a village volleyball court and on Saturday evenings, after the volley ball game, we have the opportunity to do a talk or show an evangelistic film. There have also started two regular Bible studies in different houses with people interested at finding out more. Often the beginning of a church here in Ecaudor brings many children, always keen to get involved in whatever new thing is happening. However here due to the volleyball court, there are more men interested in exploring faith than women or children!
In everything I feel I am learning all the time. The more I learn of the culture, the more I relaise how much more there is to know.
A group from my Quito church at a recent weekend camp that we all went onFor those of you who pray:
Praise God for safe travels this month, for both Angelica and myself
Pray for Angelica's family, that when she is not travelling they have precious family time
Pray for future travels to more isolated jungle communities later in the month of June
Thanks for the opportunities and openings there are to work with several churches here in Quito area, especially regarding children's ministry
Pray for wisdom for myself and the churches as we consider the needs of children more fully
Thank God for my church here in Quito, for the sense of community and family

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home