A move to the mountains....
As a result of the PEPE conference I have made the decision, with my BMS boss, to move my home and work base from Guayaquil to Quito. This was the original plan when I left England, but it felt right to start in Guayaquil and to work alongside Laura, the National PEPE Co-ordinator. However there is now the opportunity to develop the work of PEPE in the capital and surrounding areas with the churches there. Although this means a big move for myself in terms of home and friendships, I feel such an excitement and have seen doors opening to prepare the way for me.
The above photo is of the city of Quito under the Cotapaxi volcano. Everyone tells me how 'cold' it is in Quito (19 degrees all year!) - quite different from the 30 degrees plus that I've been used to here in Guayaquil!! I will have to buy a duvet and start using central heating!!
There are a lot of things to prepare before the move, both in a work context and packing up my belongings in my flat! One hilarious aspect of it all is that my 'long promised' hot shower was fitted in my flat in Guayaquil only two weeks ago... and now I am leaving it!!!! I am going to flat hunt in Quito very soon and will hopefully soon be building new contacts and friends in the city.
Quito's Old Historic Centre is beautiful, for all the challenges that I will meet in changing city and work routine, I will be moving to a stunning part of Ecuador.
Job changes....
The PEPE school year in Quito area doesn't start until September, this is great as it means I have plenty of time to do the groundwork with the local churches, sharing the vision and ensuring that the whole church is onboard with the project. At a recent Ecuadorian Pastors convention I spoke to one pastor who lives just outside Quito and he is keen to begin a PEPE in the coming year in his church, there was also interest from several others. These conversations have been a great encouragement to me.
New challenges...
My day to day work will change dramatically. Currently I spend my days with the children, visiting PEPEs and working alongside the teachers. Introducing the project in a new city will involve speaking in local churches each week, explaining the vision with church leadership teams and trying to illicit help and sponsorship from businesses. My day to day contact will therefore be with adults. It is a huge challenge as far as my language is concerned and I would certainly appreciate your prayers for this.
I will still be involved in the training of PEPE teachers in the Oriente (jungle) and will return to Guayaquil frequently to assist Laura with training of teachers in the coast too.
For those of you who pray...
Give thanks for the opportunity to start the project somewhere new and for the excitement I feel and sense of 'rightness' about the move.
That I find a new flat in Quito easily and quickly, and in a safe area.
For friendships, I have made some good supportive friendships in Guayaquil and as yet I only know two people who live in Quito! Please pray that I quickly develop meaningful friendships again.
Starting out in a new place is always strange, and although I am excited, I am aware that it will be tough at the beginning. Please pray that things quickly become familiar and that I feel settled soon.
For my spanish as it is stretched in the different challenges of the job.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home