Kay Newton

Thursday, November 09, 2006



October and November Update Part 3


Several of you have asked what my church is like in Guayaquil, I thought I had better tell you before I leave!! I have been very much involved in a small Baptist church, called 'La Trinidad' situated on the edge of a poor community in Guayaquil. Here I have learnt such a lot about Ecuadorian church culture and also experienced being welcomed into a very close community of people.

This is the inside of the church... wooden pews, traditional hymns, and on a Sunday there are usually between 20 and 25 people. I couldn't have been worshipping in a place more different from Altrincham Baptist Church!

You might be able to spot two flags on the picture, every church has an Ecuadorian flag in pride of place and also 'The Christian flag'! Very different to our English culture! Another difference is that the communioon 'bread' is always Ritz crackers!!

There is Bible Study each Sunday for an hour BEFORE the church service! Often my church has eaten lunch together after the service, that is where I have learnt to politely eat large, tough pieces of meat with a plastic spoon! A challenge indeed!


There is a small PEPE that meets at the church and most of the children and their families live in the surrounding poor community. There are a mix of houses, some are made of cement, others of wood and others of bamboo cane. The PEPE teacher and I have often visited families in this community and we have always received such a warm welcome and hospitality.

Friendships - I am constantly amazed at how God has brought people into my life at key moments. This photo is of Jose and Jacqueline, two people from church who have become such good friends. They opened their hearts, home and lives to me when I first arrived with little language, and for that I will always be grateful. They have been such a support and tonic to me here. We pray together each week, and they are great fun to be with, they have introduced me to so many aspects of Ecuadorian culture. Jose and Jacqeline have lived round the corner from me and so we have had a friendship where we just pop in on one another throughout the week, leaving them in Guayaquil will be tough, but hopefully they will come and visit in Quito.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home