Kay Newton

Saturday, September 23, 2006

September Update Part 2... Personal News!

I am sat writing this looking at a huge pile of birthday parcels that have just arrived, and my walls are adorned with numerous birthday cards! I don't think I have ever flet so spoilt on a birthday.... thank you to all of you for birthday emails and e-cards aswell! Lindsay Grant's sneaky surprise email certainly took me by surprise! I know I have said it before, but I constantly feel overwhelmed by expressions of kindness and friendship from you all in the UK (and friends in America and Germany too!) Thank you!

I was actually in the jungle for my birthday, but just before I went some of my Ecuadorian friends threw a surprise party for me. It was a good introduction to Ecuadorian birthday culture too(!) and a wonderful reminder to me that friendships are deepening as my language improves and as I get more confident with it.



If the Grapevine hasn't yet reached you...
Renewed romance with Dave happened during my three months in Peru! We found ourselves living only ten minutes away from each other in the capital and a good friendship steadily returned to a relationship! Since Peru we have had several months of continuing our relationship through endless letters, emails and constant skype calls(!) But then he was able to come out here to Ecuador over the summer for nearly two months. During that time he became an unofficial voluntary PEPE worker for BMS(!!) helping with lots of background preparation. He also helped lead sessions in the training for the indigenous teachers in the jungle. But (you will be pleased to know!) it certainly wasn't all work and we were able to take some weeks holiday together to explore Ecuador, which was fantastic. The two of us are feeling very excited about the future and although we will be physically apart in different countries for some time yet, we are growing closer in so many other ways.



Spanish....Thank you for all your encouragements about my spanish... progress is being made! It was when I received an email from one of the ABC children telling me that they were "praying every night for my spanish to improve so it better be working!!!" that I realised just how supported in prayer I have been! I now realise that I am 'on track' for being here the length of time I have been with only one lesson a week.... I had been comparing myself to people who had been on an intensive 8 month course in spanish! Not a clever thing to do!

Mum and Dad....So many of you continue to ask how Mum is doing now that her cancer treatment is over. Both her and Dad are doing really well and are now zipping all over the country in the caravan, and thoroughly enjoying getting back to 'normal' life again. Thank you so much for your prayers and concern for them over this last year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home